Friday, March 5, 2010

The Depth Chart

Before reading below, I recommend you read my post - What is the Faith Pyramid?

When it comes to being able to proclaim a truth (or even an opinion), I believe there are varying stages of "understanding" as illustrated below. (Note: The "stages" are
superior as they descend, because this chart is meant to connote "depth" of understanding). 

1. BELIEF [or assertion]
("I believe that Jesus rose from the dead.")

2. REASONS for belief
("I believe that Jesus rose from the dead, because of A, B, & C")

3. EXPLANATION of reasons
("I can explain A, B, & C")

4. DEFENSE of reasons
("I can defend A, B, & C")

For the sake of an evangelistic/apologetics encounter, it's important for a Christian to achieve the deepest stage of understanding and, therefore, a sound proclamation of truth. There are far too many Christians who possess only a first or second stage of understanding in many of their beliefs. A true Christian worldview is developed only at the bottom half of the chart. How deep are you?

2 comments:

  1. "There are far too many Christians who possess only a first or second stage of understanding in many of their beliefs." I agree.

    "A true Christian worldview is developed only at the bottom half of the chart." Can you really have a true Christian worldview without appealing to mystery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think appealing to mystery is a GOOD "explanation" and/or "defense" (to place it in context) in regards to our faith (when it's appropriate). Appealing to mystery is not the same thing as an ignorance due to laziness - it is an important aspect of the Kingdom of God and is, therefore, a true and rational response when discussing some aspects of the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete