Monday, October 10, 2011

Why do animals suffer?


Responding to the skeptic, there are number of possible answers to this question from the Christian perspective:


Once again, I think an apologetics discussion like this can be evangelistic...

1. Truthfully, I do not confidently know the answer to this question, but I do not believe that animals suffer pointlessly. I couldn’t reasonably say that animal suffering is unjustified on God’s part. We do not have adequate knowledge of the psychology of animals, their “desires” (if there is such a thing), or even an animal’s comprehension of the world around it. In fact, it is unclear if animals even have self-awareness. Don’t misunderstand me here. I am not implying that animals do not experience pain. I believe they do. But if an animal lacks self-awareness, they wouldn’t actually know they are in pain. Their reaction would be purely behavioral. Regardless of whether or not this is true, the ultimate purpose of every animal’s existence is unclear to me. As someone who trusts in the wisdom and grace of God (and will readily admit that I do not have all of the answers), I believe by faith that God is justified in allowing suffering to be a part of their existence, as it is a part of our lives as well.

2.  I believe one possible reason why animals suffer is that pain is what allows them to survive. As we all know, pain is the body warning us about harmful consequences. Without this pain, animals would more easily injure their body and likely not live long or flourish as a species. This has proven to be true among lepers, who often injure their bodies repeatedly because they lack this “warning system” of the body. And I don’t think any of us look on this fact as “beneficial” for those with leprosy.

3.  As a Christian, I believe one possible reason why animals suffer is because they have to endure the consequences of the broken world we live in. This is not to say they are “guilty” in some way. Rather, animals have to pay for the consequences of man’s rebellion against God. This truth reveals the extraordinary repercussions of sin, as well as the remarkable significance of God’s gift of redemption through the saving work of His Son, Jesus Christ. Would you like to hear more about this gift of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment